Saturday, May 17, 2014

Goodbye MTC

Well my journey here at this wonderful MTC is coming to an end in less than half a day. It has certainly been an experience that I hope I will remember for the rest of my life. Its taught me so much more than just gospel principals and the Spanish language. I've learned how to live outside of my bubble of Yadkin County, I've learned to take care of myself and understand a fraction of having some responsibility. My grandpa told me last Sunday that he knows now that I'm not a boy, I'm a man. Hearing those words come out the mouth of the man that has raised me really effected me in so many ways, and it finally felt like I've made him proud. All the many friends that I've made here in Utah will be life long friends, and friends that I hope feel the same about me. There hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't made friends and gotten to know different types of people. Although I miss my family more than words can explain, its so nice to have a family that supports what I'm doing here as a missionary and backs me up 100%. I never thought so much could happen in just a short amount of 6 weeks, but the growth that I've seen in myself, I owe it all to this MTC. As my grandpa once told President Hiatt..."I hope he can do you guys some good"..(referring to missionary work for the church) thats really all I strive for. To set examples for kids like my nephew Riley, and I always think about the Eldredge kids. I hope I can make you guys proud over the course of the next 23 or so months and come home honorably. It's going to be so tough BUT I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me. Between learning Spanish and learning more of Jesus Christ, it's all going to be the biggest adventure of my life. In the last week I've had the chance to say goodbye to friends that have went out into the field before me. I never realized how hard it was to say goodbye to these people that I most likely will never see again in this lifetime. And now its my turn to say goodbye and leave out into the world. I'm going to miss this place SO much and the people that I've grown to love and grow close to. But all good things must come to an end. 
It hasnt been easy being here though. I've had trials just like anyone else and I've struggled pretty bad at times. But I find peace in a few things; one of the last things that my grandma said to me before she died was this.."Tanner you're a Christian, if I die before your grandpa I want you to remember something. Being a Christian isn't easy, but keep in mind one thing, If you choose to serve this Mormon mission, i want you to act like a Christian. And ALWAYS remember Philippians 4:13 because you CAN do all things through Christ which strengthens you." Whenever I'm down or having a tough day I always remember that bible verse, and how important it was to my grandma. She wasn't a full time missionary, but she lived one of the best Christians life's that I have ever seen. And I hope I can be as joyful and full of spirit as she was. So as I journey off into South America, I hope to take the skills I've learned in this MTC and the skills I've learned prior to this MTC and use it to the best of my abilities to help the people of Argentina. I just wanted to thank my family, Grandpa, Grandma, and Travis for always being there for me. I hope you guys know that I love you, and I also know that Grandma will be guiding me in my travels in this mission. I will be letting you guys know how Argentina is as soon as I can. Thanks for everyones support while I've been here in this MTC. HUGE shout out to Maplewood Baptist Church. Maplewood was the Baptist church that I grew up in. They put a note in their weekly bulletin to pray for me and to send me letters. It goes to show that even though we are all not Mormons, Baptist, Methodist, we all come from different backgrounds, religion and families. But we all have one central common trait,  we are ALL children of God, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and we all should love one another for who they are. Again I love you all, and can't wait to tell all about Argentina...

GO PACERS GO PACERS GO PACERS GO PACERS GO PACERS. BEAT THE HEAT BEAT THE HEAT BEAT THE HEAT BEAT THE HEAT BEAT THE HEAT. Good luck Indiana, I will be rooting for you guys all the way in Argentina. Be sure you guys keep me updated as much as you can. 

Well I got some packing to do, got to go get ready for ARGENTINA..

Pictures..my last day with Hermana Savage, one of my Spanish teachers. And the food is the box of food that the Eldredge family sent me. It was enough to feed my WHOLE zone. 

Elder Hutchens. :)
Care Package from the Eldredge Family--YUM!!!

Hermana Savage, one of my Spanish teachers, on our last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment